Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Don’t Let the Bastards Grind You Down
Are you ready to get that monkey off your back?
If you have a substance abuse problem (or think that you might), you are definitely in the right place and by taking a look at this website and other recovery resources you are taking a step in the right direction. There are plenty of tools for the recovering alcoholic and addict to use - if we'd only pick them up and use them! This new book is one of those tools.
Obviously, there are a lot of books about recovery from addiction and substance abuse and some of them are easier to read than others. The aim of this one was to write something that could be easily understood by any alcoholic or addict who is brand new to sobriety or trying to get clean and sober again. It's about the basics; what to expect and look out for during very early recovery.
Drawing on my own experience and that of others in recovery, this book highlights fifty things that all of us should know once we've decided to fight our addiction. Some of the topics included are:
* The First 30 Days - What to expect and how to get through it.
* Things to Avoid - Protecting your recovery and coping with stress.
* Dry Drunk - How not to be one.
* Relapse –Developing a prevention plan and what to do if it happens
* Spouses & Partners - How to include them and rebuild relationships.
* Children - It's never too late to be a good parent or role model.
* Dating in Early Recovery - The not so good, the bad and the ugly.
* Twelve Step Programs - How they work and what you should know.
* Isolating - Why we do it and why we shouldn't.
* Substituting and Fixing - Things we substitute for our addiction.
(Click here to read the chapter, 'About This Book)